Welcome to the #1 Mazda MX5 Forum and Mazda MX5 community dedicated to Mazda MX5 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Mazda MX5 Forum today!

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Test Drive and Review: A Fourth Generation Grand Slam

Reactions

Car guys have an old saw that comes out every time a new MX-5 rolls out of Mazda?s Hiroshima factory: It?s more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow. That statement alone goes a long way toward explaining the MX-5?s longevity and success. The fourth generation MX-5 (ne? Miata) is now hitting showroom floors as a 2016 model, and I got a chance to drive it along one of my favorite stretches of road, the Angeles Crest Highway just north of Los Angeles. I?ve driven each generation of MX-5 at one time or another ? in fact, I got a chance to drive the first three generations back-to-back-to-back earlier this year at a Mazda-sponsored event. Each generation displayed similar virtues: near perfect balance leading to great handling, an eager, if modestly-powered engine hooked up to a sublime transmission. The roadster (two seats and an open cockpit) setup provided just enough comfort and amenities to facilitate a user-friendly driving and cruising experience. Small, light and balanced, the MX-5 always puts a grin on my face.

The fourth generation MX-5, I?m happy to say, follows the philosophy of refinement over revolution. And just to get it out of the way, I?ll say it right now: The 2016 Mazda MX-5 is the best MX-5 yet.

If MX-5 has had any demon to shake, it would be the ?cute? label. The first-gen MX-5 is undeniably cute, and some drivers made the mistake of rejecting it because of its looks. Each generation has progressively shed some of the toy-like quality, leading to the current MX-5?s downright assertive appearance.

Mazda is one of the most transparent manufacturers when it comes to sharing its design process and philosophy. The Mazda team uses design themes to inform the direction of their entire lineup, and refines the theme almost continuously. The latest design theme is named ?KODO,? which translates into ?Soul of Motion.? According to the Mazda website, ?KODO captures the very instant energy becomes motion. It?s the muscular beauty you see when an animal pounces, or when a human leaps into action.? You can see this theme played out across the latest vehicles in the Mazda lineup, including the Mazda3, CX-5 and the new CX-3.

In the new MX-5, KODO manifests itself in short front and rear overhangs and muscular rear haunches. The windshield has moved back further from the front axle, leaving a longer hood that slopes down and away from the driver. From the front and rear, the MX-5 has a planted, trapezoidal shape that conveys stability and strength. Top up or down, the MX-5 is sleek and sporty, gorgeous and not at all ?cute.?

The details matter on MX-5. Full LED lighting front and rear allows for a very expressive package. The open mouth grille still gives the front fascia a very anthropomorphic face, but the expression is determined rather than smiley. Rich paint and complex surfaces lend interest on the body sides, and the whole car reads as sporty and capable.

Inside, the big upgrade is on the driver?s side. Special attention was given to driving position. Sitting behind the wheel puts you in perfect alignment with the pedals and steering wheel, and there?s a great dead pedal to help keep your hips straight between shifts. I?m 6?2? with a long torso, and the driver?s seat fit me like a glove. Even with a wide body, I didn?t feel confined or cramped. Outward visibility is great with the top down, and acceptable with the top up.

There?s been a real effort to upgrade the interior fit and finish of the MX-5, with visible stitching and nicer trim. All of the touchpoints feature high quality feel, and the doors have been deeply scalloped to increase the feel of space in the cabin.

The MX-5 will only be offered with a cloth top for now ? no retractable hardtop is available, as it was in the third generation car. The cloth top features an aluminum front section that reduces wind noise. I was able to easily put the top up and down while seated in the driver?s seat, using just my right arm to lever the mechanism into place. Some smaller drivers reported more challenge with this operation, though most agreed that it was easier to operate than the previous edition?s soft top. Driving with the top up delivers near coupe quiet and weather tight conditions.

My only quibble with the interior is with the cupholders (a very American complaint). To optimize the position of the shifter and gear selector, the cupholders are located between the seats behind your elbow. You can move a cupholder to the right side of the center console, but then if impinges on the passenger?s leg space. The glove compartment is also between the seats along the back wall of the cabin, and is not easy to access while driving.

Under the hood, there?s a 2.0-liter 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with variable valve timing that?s tuned to produce 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque. In a horsepower-mad market that includes the 707 hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, 155 hp sounds like a mistake. In the 2,332 lb (MT)/2,381 lb (AT) MX-5, 155 hp feels just right. The MX-5 accelerates briskly, and always seems to have power on tap when you need it. The 6-speed manual transmission and buttery clutch deliver precise, quick shifting, and a 1:1 ratio in sixth gear (as opposed to an overdrive ratio) means that the entire range of the gearbox is useful and part of your performance driving arsenal. The available 6-speed automatic transmission comes with paddle shifters, and the top two cogs are overdriven. Do yourself a favor and get the manual, even if you don?t know how to drive one yet. Don?t get me wrong ? the automatic is fine, and even delivers a bit of fun. But the MX-5?s manual transmission is great, easy to use, and really enhances the driving experience. Manual transmissions are fading away, especially with the advent of great dual-clutch automatic transmissions. We?ll all be lesser when the manual transmission is gone. Rather than mourning prematurely, grab one now.

The real strength of the MX-5 isn?t its engine or transmission ? it?s the setup.

The MX-5 engine has been sneaking further and further back in the car with each generation, and now the bulk of the works are mounted effectively behind the front axles, making the MX-5 a front-midship/rear drive vehicle. Mounting the engine this way works toward the goal of centralizing mass, which results in a vehicle that?s much easier to balance. With the mass and weight distributed equally from front to rear and from side-to-side, handling becomes much more precise and predictable. MacPherson strut front suspension and torsion bar rear communicate road feel without introducing harshness, and variable ratio electric power steering feels direct and responsive, never twitchy. Even a gentle curve reveals the MX-5?s great feel. Just think about the apex, and the car hits it. Unlike some high-powered vehicles, the MX-5 doesn?t feel like it?s trying to throw its rear end out on each curve (oversteer). It feels like it?s bending into the curves. The MX-5 is very easy to drive, and fun to drive at any pace.

Lots of folks are going to buy an MX-5 and turn it into a track car, which is fine. You can?t get a better, less expensive new vehicle for the track. With very little modification, may just some added safety equipment, you can be out on the track honing your skills and even competing in events.

Most MX-5 buyers, though, will not do track time. They?re just looking for a fun commuter, weekend driver or getaway car. MX-5 excels in those roles, as well. Trunk space is tight at 4.9 cubic feet, but that?s enough for groceries and travel clothing.

Mazda has three trim levels for MX-5 for 2016: Sport (base model) starts at $24,915. Club models get a sport suspension, BBS wheels and Brembo brakes, and start at $28,600. Grand Touring models (starting at $30,065) come with leather seating, navigation and other amenities, including available driver assistance technologies. Instead of a ladder of trim levels (adding equipment as prices rise), Mazda has chosen a two branch approach, with Club designed to appeal to the hardcore driving enthusiast and Grand Touring appealing to the cruisers.

At these price points, there are few competitors in the roadster category. Scion?s FR-S and Subaru?s BR-Z are bargain-priced track-worthy front engine/rear drive performance coupes, but neither has a factory drop top. The MINI Cooper Roadster is front-wheel drive, but still a lot of fun. Audi?s TT, BMW?s Z4 and the Porsche Boxster also enter the ring, but with substantially higher price tags.

The appearance of a new MX-5 is good news all around. For Miata fans, there?s a whole new generation of the car that they love to drive. The new Mazda is bound to push the competition to respond with better driving cars. And for those who craved a third generation MX-5 but never pulled the trigger, the new MX-5 should cause a big drop in the price of used vehicles, as early adopters rush to get the latest and greatest. For the greatest bang for the buck on the road or on the track, rush out and get an MX-5 of any generation, and have fun. For the best experience, splurge on the 2016 MX-5. And for heaven?s sake, buy one with a manual transmission, while you still can.

Text Source: Forbes

Reactions
Ed here. I just traded my 2001 Porsche Boxster for a 2016 Launch Edition MX-5. While I think the car is stunning in appearance, I have to say that I'm a wee bit underwhelmed by the actual driving experience. After only 2000 miles, the body roll, engine buzziness and tire grip are a bit of a disappointment. It does have decent acceleration and great gas mileage compared to my old Boxster. Any other opinions on the new model?

Reactions
Purchased my ND MX-5 on 19 July 2016.
This is my first Mazda car and loving the MX-5, great sporting car.
It's my toy so only going to be enjoying him, his name is Gus.